13 Things to do when it rains in the East Neuk of Fife. Crail is a great holiday destination for everyone but like most places in the UK we don’t get sunshine every day of the week. On average you would expect to get at least one day of rain during your holiday. So what is there to do when it rains?
Firstly if you know your holiday dates, check the long range weather forecast for your week using some of the forecasting sites such as BBC Weather. That should give you an indication of what sort of weather you should expect and allow you to plan your activities accordingly. You might need to factor in “13 Things to do when it rains”
13 Things to do when it rains
If it does rain for one or two days during your holiday then here are 13 ideas or activities you might like to try. Please note all venues are open at time of writing unless otherwise stated.
1. Visit the Scottish Fisheries Museum in Anstruther. When the museum is closed why not take the online tour. Click this link You can do this in the cottage. All you have to do is remember to bring your PC!
However if you want to visit the museum the good news is that it is now open to the public.
2. If you have an interest in the Cold War then why not visit Scotland’s Secret Bunker at Troy Wood on the B940 just outside Crail. You can buy tickets online. Click this link At this time numbers are restricted.
3. Visit Crail Museum and Heritage Centre and find out more about the history of Crail.
4. Check out what’s on at the local cinema, The New Picture House St Andrews by clicking this link. St Andrews is only a 25 minute drive from Crail.
5. Browse our small selection of books in Sandcastle Cottage many of which are by well known authors. If you enjoy reading crime novels click on our Recommended Reading Blog for a few recommendations of crime novels set in St Andrews, Crail and the East Neuk.
6. Plan a Day Trip to Dundee and visit the Victoria & Albert Museum and RMS Discovery. Click on this link for more details.
7. Visit Kingsbarns Distillery and take the Distillery Tour. Find out how whisky is made. Alternatively if you don’t like whisky Kingsbarns is the home of Darnley’s Gin so why not take the Gin Tour. There is also a cafe for refreshments and a well stocked shop. Click this link for details Kingsbarns is only a 10 minute drive from Crail.
8. Go out for lunch. Craig Millar at 16 West Shore St Monans offers a lunch menu which is keenly priced. The restaurant is open and tables are arranged to meet social distance requirements. For more details and menus click this link
9. Book Afternoon Tea at the Old Course Hotel St Andrews. Afternoon tea is served between 1.00 – 4.00pm. You do not have to be a resident to book as the hotel is open to non residents. For more details click this link
10. If you are a golfer and don’t like playing in the rain, you might like to visit the British Golf Museum, located in Golf Place St Andrews opposite the Royal & Ancient Golf Club. There is also an excellent cafe on the top half of the museum serving coffees teas and light snacks. For details click this link
11. If you are a family with young children St Andrews Aquarium is a good venue for a wet day. Most of the fish tanks are indoors with only the seals in a pool outside. The Aquarium is located on the Scores next to a large car park. For details click this link
12. Visit the Fife Folk Museum in Ceres. The museum has an interesting collection of farm machinery and tales of rural life. There are lots of activities for all ages together with a shop and cafe. For more details click this link to take you to the museums website.
13. Visit the East Sands Leisure Centre in St Andrews. Click this link for details on what is available. The leisure centre is only a 20 minute drive from Crail. Look out for the signpost as you come into St Andrews past the caravan site and the mini roundabout.
Unfortunately at Sandcastle Cottage we can’t control the weather but hopefully “13 Things to do when it rains” turns a wet day into an enjoyable one.
If you would like to find out more about Sandcastle Cottage why not take a look by clicking this link. Alternatively if you would like to book a weeks holiday or longer with us then please click on the book now button which will take you to our booking page.