14 Things to do when it rains in the East Neuk of Fife. Crail is a great holiday destination for everyone but like most places in the UK we don’t get sunshine every day of the week. On average you would expect to get at least one day of rain during your holiday. So what is there to do when it rains?
Firstly if you know your holiday dates, check the long range weather forecast for your week using some of the forecasting sites such as BBC Weather. That should give you an indication of what sort of weather you should expect and allow you to plan your activities accordingly. You might need to factor in “14 Things to do when it rains”
14 Things to do when it rains
If it does rain for one or two days during your holiday then here are 14 ideas or activities you might like to try. Please note all venues are open at time of writing unless otherwise stated.
1. Visit the Scottish Fisheries Museum in Anstruther. For details on what there is to see and do Click this link
The Museum is a five minute drive from Crail. Car parking is directly opposite, or you can take the 95 bus. The bus stop is right outside the museum. For bus timetable click here
2. If you have an interest in the Cold War then why not visit Scotland’s Secret Bunker at Troy Wood on the B940 just outside Crail. You can buy tickets online. Click this link
3. Visit Crail Museum and Heritage Centre and find out more about the history of Crail.
4. Check out what’s on at the local cinema, The New Picture House St Andrews by clicking this link. St Andrews is only a 25 minute drive from Crail.
5. Browse our small selection of books in Sandcastle Cottage many of which are by well known authors. If you enjoy reading crime novels click on our Recommended Reading Blog for a few recommendations of crime novels set in St Andrews, Crail and the East Neuk.
6. Plan a Day Trip to Dundee and visit the Victoria & Albert Museum and RMS Discovery. Click on this link for more details.
7. Visit Kingsbarns Distillery and take the Distillery Tour. Find out how whisky is made. Alternatively if you don’t like whisky Kingsbarns is the home of Darnley’s Gin so why not take the Gin Tour. There is also a cafe for refreshments and a well stocked shop. Click this link for details Kingsbarns is only a 10 minute drive from Crail.
8. Go out for lunch. Craig Millar at 16 West Shore St Monans offers a lunch menu which is keenly priced. The restaurant is small so booking is recommended. For more details and menus click this link
9. Book Afternoon Tea at the Old Course Hotel or The Fairmont St Andrews. Afternoon tea is served between 1.00 – 4.00pm. You do not have to be a resident to book as the hotel is open to non residents. For more details click this link The Fairmont also offer Afternoon Tea on Thursday to Sunday for details and bookings click this link
10. If you are a golfer and don’t like playing in the rain, you might like to visit the R&A World Golf Museum, located in Golf Place St Andrews opposite the Royal & Ancient Golf Club. There is also an excellent cafe on the top half of the museum serving coffees teas and light snacks. For details click this link
11. If you are a family with young children St Andrews Aquarium is a good venue for a wet day. Most of the fish tanks are indoors with only the seals in a pool outside. The Aquarium is located on the Scores next to a large car park. For details click this link
12. Visit the Fife Folk Museum in Ceres. The museum has an interesting collection of farm machinery and tales of rural life. There are lots of activities for all ages together with a shop and cafe. For more details click this link to take you to the museums website.
13. Visit the East Sands Leisure Centre in St Andrews. Click this link for details on what is available. The leisure centre is only a 20 minute drive from Crail. Look out for the signpost as you come into St Andrews past the caravan site and the mini roundabout.
14. Last but not least here is an activity you can do in Crail and only a few minutes walk from Sandcastle Cottage. The Pottery Wheel Experience is a 2 hour session which includes making a pot on the potter’s wheel and firing it. No experience is necessary. Maximum of two people per session. Session’s last for two hours. The Pottery Wheel Experience is located behind the Beehive just off the High Street. For more information and booking click this link. Alternatively you can email Wayne at email@example.com.
14 Things to do when it rains
Unfortunately at Sandcastle Cottage we can’t control the weather but hopefully “14 Things to do when it rains” turns a wet day into an enjoyable one.
Stay at Sandcastle Cottage Crail
If you would like to find out more about Sandcastle Cottage why not take a look by clicking this link. Alternatively if you would like to book a weeks holiday or longer with us then please click on the book now button which will take you to our booking page.