At Sandcastle Cottage we are committed through our green policy to providing good quality self-catering accommodation whilst minimising the impact of our business activities on the environment.
Some ways which our green policy enables us to achieve this are:
Playing our part in protecting our environment
1. Using Eco Friendly cleaning materials in Sandcastle Cottage and supplying eco-friendly washing up liquid.
2. Providing detailed information in the cottage regarding our recycling facilities at Sandcastle Cottage, in the form of four recycling bins for Paper, Plastics, Cans and Food Waste.
3. Composting garden waste.
4. Providing information for guests to enable them to use public transport facilities to reach our property.
5. Replacing light bulbs with low energy bulbs.
6. Encouraging guests to switch off electrical appliances and not leave on standby.
7. Purchasing energy efficient white goods.
8. Using email as much as possible for correspondence to cut down on paper.
9. We do not use of print advertising, and no longer produce brochures. All tourist information is on our website.
10. Providing online booking facilities for guests to cut down on paper.
11. Supporting local tradesmen for all our repairs and maintenance.
12. Providing showers for guests which use less water than baths.
We have recently installed a new central heating boiler and energy efficient radiators. This will enable us to make savings on our energy costs as well as making the cottage warm and welcoming for our guests during the winter months.
Our recycling policy is designed to encourage our guests to recycle as much of their waste as possible.
All glass bottles and jars are recycled at our local recycling site at Crail Primary School. A short walk from Sandcastle Cottage.
We are compliant with the European Building Directive and have an Energy Performance Certificate which guests can find in the cottage.
We encourage our guests to walk or cycle to the local shops in the High Street and buy locally produced food. As we are only a few minutes walk from shops, beaches, play parks, restaurants, pubs and the historic harbour a car is not necessary. See our blog “Walk to the shops on your self catering holiday”
If you would like to find out more about recycling facilities in the local area then click this link.
Electric Charging Points in Crail
For those guests with electric cars there are two electric charging points located in the Marketgate car park next to the Tolbooth.
There is a connection fee of £1.60 and electricity is charged at 15p/kWh. This tariff is collected automatically through your ChargePlace Scotland or equivalent account.
If you would like to find out more about staying at Sandcastle Cottage then click on this link or go to our availability page by clicking the book now button.